Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Old and new

Clearly I am more drawn to old than new. I have always loved to antique , by that I mean find old interesting character pieces , as I am sure you have noticed , which explains my farmhouse looking floors , which took all of two seconds to decide on , they have been the right choice and they make a big impression , everyone who sees them loves them as I do .

Like my old door chalkboard which I love with all its imperfections.
These table legs that my husband and I dragged home from a market , to only salvage these pretty legs , chippy , lumpy full of age and character, wow sounds like I was describing me there.


I love how the shutters nod to the lines of the tongue and groove white ceiling.



Of course these brackets which are one of my favourite finds , found on a VERY cold winter day at a very full salvage shop that even Sarah Richardson frequents , or so I understand , and I can see why . I loved them so much I built a beam for them , now that is love.




So happy I am with my new shutters in their old vintage style , even the kids like them , they were razzing me , as always , and the hubby loved them too , and the character they add .
I am sticking as I normally do with white , there is enough character , I don't want them to jump out , not that I didn't consider it really , I think there is enough going on in these two rooms to have some restraint here.

The End ?
{there can't possibly be anything else I can do to this room after all}
New wood floors
New wood ceiling
Tiled fireplace surround
Added mantel
Computer desk and hutch {husband made this piece}
Swinging door
Wainscoting
Beam and brackets
Painted {obviously}
Built island
New appliances
Chalkboard
Added open shelving
Upgrading trim on cabinets {husband did this too }
Painted cabinets
New hardware
Brackets to kitchen cabinets
New Old sink
New faucet
Back splash
Custom range hood
Added lighting over island
Tin panel to dishwasher
All new trim moulding around doors and windows.
I had no idea I was going to be re-building this house , but it has been a fun journey .






No comments: