Sunday, November 23, 2014

5 weeks of dining room improvements

I can't believe I have been slowly plugging away at this dining room project for 5 weeks when last year it took me 2 weeks to complete a coffered ceiling and flooring install in my family room , spraining my ankles this summer has really changed how quickly I move...safety first.

 How can installing doors and knobs be the hardest part of a project like this....but it always is...turns out I was given not quite the right screws for the knobs, well that caused a lot of frustration...making a simple jig for the knobs prooved harder than it seemed resulting in the first door having the wrong holes being drilled so that mean a repair...and finding the correct screws to replace the ones that had been broken in my attempts to install the knobs resulted in a very long search for the correct screws...european hardware!!!! So I am relieved the doors are in and the knobs are on and centered...now I can move on to the floor.


 I am loving all this new storage.

Hopefully I will get to the uppers very soon because I can't wait to see how it looks. I am getting excited to get this room put back together, I think the ceiling will have to wait till after the new year...I need to focus on Christmas.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Dining room update...priming and painting


 After taking some time to consider my choices I thought I would go ahead and try painting the built in white, well Vermont Cream...I had planned on painting it dark but I started to question it and when I asked my husband what he thought he said white...I am very unsure about the white but I am going to follow through with this current direction.
 I drilled a hole and used this outlet cover to keep it looking clean, I will be keeping the printer in the far cabinet so I needed the cord to fit through to the outlet.
 I picked up a fresh paint tray and some velour rollers for the smoothest hand rolled finish...
 when I saw this photo I thought it was the perfect compromise of the dark and white...I think these built ins are beautiful and if mine look anything like this overall look I will be happy.
 I wanted to show a pic of the backside of the filled pocket holes...they look pretty good I think.
 I have one more coat of paint to complete and then tomorrow I will be able to install all of the doors.
 I'm hoping I will love the way the brass hardware will look... then its time to install the tops and then it will be time to sand the floors then stain them. We might just have a dining room for Christmas.
Let's all enjoy the before...


Sunday, November 16, 2014

DIY shaker doors

I thought I would do a little tutorial on how I made these simple DIY shaker doors they are really quite simple to make and cost me about $10-12 each...they might be worth a try for your next DIY project.



I needed 7 doors for the current dining room buffet project I am working on...I am trying to keep on a tight budget and having doors made for me would have cost about $35-40 a door which is pretty good but I thought if I could save $$ on the doors I could put that towards the marble peice I want for the middle section of the buffet. $280 plus tx for custom doors or $70 for DIY doors....it was a no brainer. (don't worry I did swap out the plywood in the last door to match the grain of the others)
I promise it's easy...
How I keep it really easy is by using unfinished pine flooring which is available at most lumber stores at under $1 a linear foot.


Tools & supplies you will need:
miter saw
pocket hole jig
clamps
table saw
drill
orbital sander
1/4" plywood
pine flooring wider than 3" I used 5"
1 1/4"  kreg screws

Step one, using a table saw you will need to rip off the tongue of the wood flooring , I chose to make my rails and stiles 2 1/2" wide

Step two, miter your top and bottom pieces to the desired size. Make sure to sand the grove side of your wood.

Step three, drill your pocket holes onto the back side of the stiles.




Step four, you will need to cut the plywood or bead board if you choose to just slightly larger than the opening, 5/16"-6/16" is good (just over a 1/4")

Step five, using a clamp to hold your miter together attach the stiles to one rail then slide in the plywood and then attach the bottom rail. You don't need to glue the joints as the screws will hold the corners well enough. The center panel will just sit in the groove and can expand and contract freely.




Step six, starting with 80 grit of sand paper sand all the joints flush and smooth I then followed with 150 grit for all the edges and front and back of the frames then a final sanding of 220 which left it perfectly smooth and ready for priming and painting. I then decided after all the sanding to fill the pocket holes followed by another final sanding, the pocket hole plugs I thought I would use were actually micro pocket hole plugs so I went with filler instead. I know a little backwards....I hook up my orbital sander to my wet dry vac for all my sanding.. if you can you should do this and wear ear protection, eye protection and most importantly a mask. Of course you can use pocket hole plugs and glue them in place let them dry and then sand them flush or use a japanese flush saw to cut off any excess followed by sanding.




Well there it is my tutorial on how I build simple shaker doors with mitered corners for approx $12 each...

Please feel free to share and PIN and if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Please let me know if you use this tutorial I'd love to see what you have done.